If you’re like most of my clients, you started your business to enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes with being your own boss. You love making a positive difference to the lives of your customers and your local community. You’ve high professional standards and are determined to lead your company with integrity. Your plans for the future are ambitious.
But you struggle to find enough time to work ‘on your business.’
Maybe this sounds like you?
- You don’t have the time to… Focus on business development and marketing so that when you come to the end of a big project, you wonder where the work’s going to come from to pay the bills.
- You can’t afford to take on anybody to do X, Y or Z. You don’t have somebody to answer the phones, reply to email, send out invoices, book jobs and chase payment which can have a big impact on customer experience and cash flow.
- You’ve no idea how much money the business is turning over or how much profit you’re making. If you don’t know your numbers, it’s simply not impossible to make informed decisions about your business.
- You’ve little by way of cash reserves. If sales are slow for more than a couple of months, you’ve probably experienced what’s called a cash crunch and struggled to pay your bills.
- You procrastinate because you feel overwhelmed. You don’t have a roadmap for your business, and aren’t sure what exactly you should be focusing your time and energy on.
If so, you’re not alone. I’ve been there too.
As a new CEO, I remember pulling the door to my office to, staring at my desk and wondering what on earth I‘d done. The books were a mess. The company audit was due. I had to find a new funding source urgently – or else slash our services and make half of the staff redundant. Our key strategic partnerships were in poor shape. And I didn’t yet know the capabilities of my team.
Frankly I felt overwhelmed by the enormity of the task ahead.
The turnaround happened when I realised that I couldn’t do it all alone. If I was going to help the company get out of the mess it was in, I had to urgently put in place systems and processes to develop my team, whilst sharing a positive vision for the company.
The answer wasn’t to work harder. I often worked more than 60 hours a week. It was to become highly intentional and strategic, focusing on taking swift action on the right things. To hit a first set of achievable milestones, re-assess where the business was in relation to our goals and then set a further set of new milestones.
The lessons I learnt in my 8 years as a CEO now serve me well in my second career as a business consultant. I’ve used my extensive experience to create, Built To Succeed, a roadmap to business success for striving small and medium sized business owners. This is the roadmap I use with my business consulting clients.
Since leaving my CEO role, I’ve continued to thrive professionally. I was fully booked (without a website) within 8 months of starting my business. I’m a successful entrepreneur with a list of business consulting clients in the UK, the US, Canada and Australia, and a growing team. In fact, my business was recently named in the Sage UK Top 100 Global Business Influencers List for 2017.
Can I help you with your business success?
Together with my team at Built To Succeed, we help overwhelmed small and medium sized business owners like you put in place a roadmap that will enable you to lead and grow your business with confidence. Our mission is to give you the very best business advice, while supporting you to build an enduring and sustainable brand.
Through business coaching and consulting, marketing strategy and done for you marketing services, plus a free online community called Business & Bellinis, this blog and podcast, we’re creating a business revolution. Every day, we see business leaders trade the cash flow rollercoaster for financial stability and steady, sustainable growth. We’d love you to join us too.
Over to you.
I’d love to start a conversation about whether we’re a good fit to work together. Simply e-mail me to arrange an informal coffee chat. There’s no hard sell. Just solid advice and a straightforward, honest assessment of whether our services would be right for you.
To ensure you don’t miss a thing, why not subscribe? It’s fast, easy, and you can unsubscribe at any time. Best of all, I have a special gift when you subscribe. (Click here to find out more.)